Hints have proven a tremendously useful resource for Findmypast members . They've already helped thousands of you come closer to solving family mysteries, and we're eager to do everything we can to ensure they continue to be an even greater help for everyone working on their trees in future.
As promised, we've now updated Hints, which were originally only generated for Birth, Marriage and Death records, to include the Census.
Now, Hints Can...
- Provide automatic suggestions of up to 3 record hints per person from across all of Findmypast's millions of UK, US and Ireland census records
- Try to match a family unit from the tree against families recorded in the census records, rather than just person by person
So far, we've generated nearly 200,000 Census Hints, of which 78% have been actioned.
Why This is Better
- Census hints are important because of the wealth of information that is held on a Census collection, as opposed to the basic Birth, Marriage and Death records
- They provide details of all family members, as a unit
- They give you the ability to easily add missing family members to your tree with only a few clicks
- ... And they extrapolate all the information from the records into organised facts
- The Hints now include all the source information with the facts
- You can now add alternative facts and edit facts
How Are Census Hints Useful for Beginners?
The birth, marriage, and death registrations become quite limited once you reach back to 1911.The ability to match with a census record from 1911 will open up your knowledge of the whole family, and help you match with a much broader spectrum of both ancestors and descendants. Soon, you'll have found more lost cousins than you'l know what to do with!
Oh, and One More Thing
- Our running total is 57.2 million hints since we started in December
- This month alone, we've generated 27.437,872 Hints
- We now generate between one and two million hints every day
You can learn more about how to use Hints here in this dedicated help post.
We hope that you continue to enjoy using Hints, and that they prove very useful as you build your family tree.